Indoor Air Quality

Home or office. Learning about the dangers of poor air quality is the first step.

Below you’ll find information on a few of the most common Indoor Air Pollutants that we test for and treat

radon

Radon Gas
Long-term exposure to radon gas in your home will lead to an increased risk of developing lung cancer. It is linked to approximately 15% of all lung cancer deaths in Canada, making it the second only to smoking. Around 7% of all Canadian households have levels higher than what the Canadian guidelines dictate as safe. Since Radon gas is colorless, tasteless and odorless the only way to know for sure if you’re safe is have your home or office tested.  

smoke2
Carbon Monoxide
A colorless, odorless gas that will reduce the amount of oxygen you have in your blood. In closed environments, the concentration of carbon monoxide can easily rise to lethal levels.  It is the #1 cause of unintentional poisoning related deaths in North America and an estimated 414 Canadians died of carbon monoxide poisoning between 2000 and 2007 . Low levels of carbon monoxide exposure will yield symptoms of fatigue, headache, shortness of breath and impaired motor functions. Higher levels of exposure (or prolonged exposure to lower levels) can cause lethargy, poor vision or chest pains, mental confusion, dizziness and collapse or fainting due to exertion. Extreme levels of carbon monoxide will result in convulsions, comas or even death.

smoke 
Carbon Dioxide
High levels of carbon dioxide are often a good indication of  inadequate ventilation in a building. People  in buildings with high levels of carbon dioxide may experience burning eyes, tiredness, and headaches. These symptoms are often caused by a mixture of the carbon dioxide with other pollutants that occur in a poorly ventilated space.

voc
VOC’s (volatile organic compounds)
Volatile organic compounds are gases that are created by a number of different indoor sources. In offices, VOCs result from things like new furnishings, wall covers and even office equipment like photocopy machines, which can emit VOCs into the air. Good ventilation systems are helpful in reducing VOCs indoors. Symptoms can include headache, nausea, eye,  nose, and throat irritations and even a loss of coordination.

mould51

Mold
Mold/Mould refers to various species of fungi that are found naturally in the environment. When found in an indoor environment it can lead to respiratory problems and allergic reactions. The severity of ones sensitivity to mold will vary from person to person but symptoms generally include eye, nose and throat irritation, coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath as well as various other allergic reactions.   
    No Twitter Messages.